Women’s Empowerment Club – Orders of Protection
On March 9, 2017, AAFS held its second session of the Women’s Empowerment Club. This program was designed to educate and empower women on many different platforms. Because domestic violence is, unfortunately, a problem within our communities, we held this session to educate victims and survivors about their rights and how to fill out an order of protection, in the event that their life may be threatened.
- On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.1
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been victims of [some form of] physical violence by an intimate partner within their lifetime.1
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.1
- 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men have been stalked by an intimate partner during their lifetime to the point in which they felt very fearful or believed that they or someone close to them would be harmed or killed.1
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.9 according to the National Coalition of Domestic Violence
These profound numbers are reminders that domestic violence and abuse do exist within our communities and that it is never excusable. If you or someone you know is struggling or in need of assistance, please feel free to reach out to our anonymous hotline at (708) 945- 7600.